Looking out the window during these cold, snow-covered days, for many northeast Ohio owners, spring might seem like a distant season that won’t come soon enough. But, like every year, spring comes perhaps too quickly for some of us, and the chores that accompany the warmer weather come along with it.
This year has been unprecedented, to say the least. For many people, the financial strain has been difficult to weather, and the health concerns for many of us are too serious to shrug off carelessly.
Fortunately for some, the daily chores are still present, and we can fight our boredom with chores we can do at home daily if we want.
Spring is almost here-believe it or not- and the yard work and flower planting are going to keep us occupied for many weeks.
So, what chores can you do now to have a nice summer without having to do them during those beautiful summer days? Begin the chores that can be done inside right now, and save the outside chores for the spring.
- Spring cleaning can be done now without waiting for spring to come. We are inside the home; we do not need to have nice weather to start spring cleaning.
- Declutter the basement and get rid of unwanted items that have been saved for years. If you have items that are serviceable, you can donate them. You can call a donation center to find out if they can pick them up. They ask those items to be 5 years old or newer.
- Kitchen items that you haven’t used in years can be donated as well. You will be happy with the extra space you will have after doing a kitchen declutter.
- Choose a room and critically assess whether it can be improved with a new coat of paint.
- Redecorate a room to improve it. Plants, candles, and even different light fixtures can give your room a new look. Redecorating a room should not be an expensive chore, but it can give it a different feel for the family.
- Mats, rugs, or paintings can transform a room. They do not have to be expensive for you to have a warm room you can enjoy.
- If you don’t want to paint the room, even a good scrubbing can make a difference. The walls of the house do get a thin layer of dust particles during the winter months. Scrubbing them can be done easily and quickly.
- Changing the curtains or dry cleaning them can add brightness to any room. Do you need to add new ones to a room? Try making them yourself. They can be easy to accomplish. Roman curtains for the kitchen or a bedroom are easy and pretty to make. You can even use tape and an iron to make them. No sewing needed.
There are many enjoyable pass times anyone can do that do not include cleaning, sewing, or painting. But, as homeowners, we have chores we must do every year to keep a decent home for our families and those chores are unavoidable. Keeping a decluttered home is enjoyable for everyone, and can give you the extra space you might need right now. We can begin doing a chore for fifteen minutes every day to create the habit and continue till that chore is done. Eventually, we can have a cleaned, decluttered home we can all enjoy.